si-blog

Backend

Posted Jun 07, 2004 in PHP.

I spent several hours creating a series of include files today. I've always been a big fan of using includes to simplify things. In no particular order, today's work included (no pun intended):

  • db.php
  • mime.php
  • meta.php
  • style.php

The lion's share of the work was spent on db.php and mime.php. I spent a good couple of hours writing a fancy object that could handle all my database work, and then I decided to scrap it in favor of sequential code. It seemed like I was using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and I hate working with objects. I kept the code for a later project.

I re-wrote my script for serving up pages, because the needs of the new si-blog will be slightly different. At the same time, I decided to generate everything in UTF-8 in an attempt to give the new CMS a little more longevity.

Already, the project is suffering from scope creep. I keep thinking of new things that I want to incorporate, and many of these have required a general re-think.

Comments

  1. Gravatar

    You might consider making a list of goals for a solid first version, post them here and ask for feedback.

    Posted by Anne on Jun 07, 2004.

  2. Gravatar

    Not a bad idea, Anne. I'll give that some thought.

    Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 08, 2004.