Olympic joint

Posted Aug 09, 2004 in Sport.

My wife and I both agree that the relay torch being passed around for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens looks like a giant reefer. Apparently, the torch is designed to “resemble a leaf from an olive tree, which is a traditional part of the Greek landscape, an ancient symbol of the Athenian State and a global symbol of peace and freedom.” Futhermore, the torch “is designed to characterize the ideals of Olympism and the long relationship between the Olympic Games and Greece.”

Surely this is the biggest doping scandal of all time? I've always thought that a joint was a symbol of peace too, but I don't think that is what they had in mind...

Comments

The torch, sure, but did you get a load of the giant GIANT doobie it looks like they lit (hehe 'lit')with it?!!? It's a GIANT spliff!!!!

Greek tokin', Olympic smokin'

Posted by GingerSling on Aug 13, 2004.

my sister as we watched the opening cermony: "oh my gosh! it looks like a giant blunt!"

Posted by holly on Aug 13, 2004.

Hell, let's all move to Greece if thats what they worship!!!!

Posted by The Dude on Aug 13, 2004.

They lit that thing and seeds were pop'n off like crazy!!!

Posted by charlie on Aug 13, 2004.

umm...so it seems like some olympic party planning officials would've noticed how their innovative torch design looks like a huge doobie. these greeks are either really stupid or they really love the marijauna.

Posted by missy on Aug 13, 2004.

That is funny, because I said the exact same thing while watching the events. As he lit it, I could picture God appearing and taking a hit.

I found this site because I was looking for a nice zoomed out image that really captured this vision.

Posted by BLaZE on Aug 14, 2004.

I actually found this site by googling "the olympic torch looks like a joint". Thank goodness I'm not the only one who agrees. Fire it up, holmes!

Posted by Greek God of Spliff on Aug 14, 2004.

EXACTLY what I thought-- with a clip and everything.
    What were they thinking?

Posted by Lisette on Aug 14, 2004.

Yep. When I saw the mammoth flame-thrower I first thought "no, it can't be........must be the vodka tonics working on me". But when they lit it and that roach-clip-type device raised it, I knew someone on the design committee was rolling on their respective living room floor laughing with glee.

Posted by John on Aug 14, 2004.

It would have only been fitting if Cheech and Chong or Jay and Silent Bob would have lit the torch. Too bad they aren't Greek. I was hoping the Olympic Games mascot would have taken a toke. I wonder if when they extinguish it if the torch will rotate to be facing straight down and then it gets pounded up and down into the ground like a giant ash tray.

Posted by James on Aug 14, 2004.

I also found this website by surfing for pictures of last nights giant JOINT lighting ceremony. My boyfriend and I were both sitting on the couch watching the ceremony (wasted) and could not believe our eyes. We totally cracked up. This should be a bigger scandal than the Janet Jackson nipple thing. How stupid are these officials. The 2004 Olympics will definitely be the one that I never forget.

I'm so glad we are not the only ones to have this thought.

Posted by Amy on Aug 14, 2004.

"athens torch like joint" got me to this blog, with a few Google roadside stops at the joint Korean torch bearers (as in they both bore the torch). and then passed the dutchie, presumably. i guess this means that it's invigorating to take notice of a mass-media subtlety and then actively pursue common interpretations. i love all of you.

Posted by hoochjoose on Aug 14, 2004.

I googled "olympic torch doobie." Like everyone else has been saying, I'm glad it's not just me. BTW, never smoked any weed but I was around plenty of second hand and usually inhaled deeply . . .

Posted by Joel on Aug 15, 2004.

Yep! Same deal. Googled "olympic torch giant joint" got me this site as #1. Man, does anyone have a photo or a video clip? My friends missed it and don't believe me!

Posted by anon on Aug 15, 2004.

How ironic considering the Greek police found a huge stash of pot plants during the torch relay through Crete. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200407/s1152373.htm)

Posted by dan on Aug 16, 2004.

Wow, and I thought I was the only one thinking about that, welcome to the games of the 420th olympiad! I found this site with a google search too!

Posted by Luis on Aug 16, 2004.

Thank God for DVRs! We must have watched that giant doobie rise to the heavens a dozen times. The most blatant display of the herb I've seen yet. The only way it could be better is if the flame died down to an ember only to glow more brightly each time Zeus takes a hit!

Posted by PVZ on Aug 16, 2004.

For pic:

Posted by Jenn on Aug 17, 2004.

For a Janet Jackson esque scandal, check out the pics on the Official Games Site. http://www.athens2004.com/en/Ceremonyimgallery/redirect?channel=Ceremonyimgallery&cpage=1&lang=en It's the first pic in the gallery. Somebody tell me I'm seeing things, or did the news and the FCC really ignore this?

Posted by smat4life on Aug 17, 2004.

The motto of the relay was "Pass the Flame, Unite the World." It's unbelievable.

Posted by Troy on Aug 17, 2004.

OMG!!! I wrote in my blog that night that tbis torch looked like they expected some ETs to come down in spaceships (or pop out of glowing bellies ...) and take a giant hit at "Peace and Friendship Stadium". Peace, friendship, and peace pipes indeed. I too am glad that I'm not the only one ... although the whole list of blog doobies took a while to hit google.

Posted by Spaceman Spliff on Aug 23, 2004.

The World Chronic Organization rejoiced today at the lighting of the Olympic torch.

Posted by Bryan on Aug 26, 2004.

yup... my first thought was 'giant doobie'. some pothead designer just wanted to spread some love/peace. and probably died laughing when he saw it being displayed in front of a few billion people. awesome.

Posted by michael on Aug 29, 2004.

OMG!!! that "thing" looks like a huge fag! wen i saw it im like "omg the olympic torch looks like a fag" ive got a pic of it

Posted by BeN on Aug 29, 2004.

Wow, I'm soooo happy everyone else thought the torch looked like a giant doobie. It's been haunting me for days now, I should've surfed the web sooner, ah the miracles of the modern society. BTW, did you guys know that the official song of the torch relay was "Pass the Flame"? It should have been "Don't Bogart the Flame" http://www.athens2004.com/en/Athens2004OlympicTorchRelaySong

Posted by Lou on Sep 03, 2004.