Posted Oct 12, 2004 in Personal.
I moved to the USA in 2001, and the country has made me feel very welcome; however, there are a handful of things about this place that drive me crazy. Some of these things aren't unique to America, but many are:
- Reality television
- Excuse me? There is no possible way that any of these ridiculous shows could have anything to do with reality. They are stupid, and yet they occupy every corner of prime time television, and they attract massive audiences. Why? Are all of you people out there stupid?
- Oh, I forgot. Many of you are stupid, because you are trying to re-elect President Bush - the man responsible for letting Bin Laden get away, the man responsible for the deaths of countless soldiers, and the man responsible for running up a truly enormous budget deficit.
- “Everybody is talking about __________”
- No. Nobody is talking about it. That is just bullshit. On television yesterday, I saw a trailer for that Siegfried and Roy interview that was on NBC in April. It said I could have one more chance to see the “interview that everybody is talking about.” Actually, I haven't heard anyone talking about it, and I couldn't give a crap about it. In fact, I'd never even heard of these people until the mauling of Roy Horn appeared on the news.
- Encore presentation
- Say what? Isn't that just marketing bullshit for a fucking repeat? It basically means that you don't have enough original programmming to fill your schedule, so you are going to show me the same thing over and over again and tell me I'm lucky for another opportunity.
- Utility companies
- They send you an official-looking red letter that says you are a bad person because you haven't paid your phone bill, and that they are going to cut you off. Except that is bullshit, because you have paid your bill. So you phone them up and tell them, and they tell you to prove it by faxing them copies of your check. After a couple of weeks of phone calls, shouting, faxing, and photocopying you finally get it sorted out. And then a week later, the next bill comes in and it says you haven't paid. So you have to go through the whole process again.
- 4-way stop signs
- In this country, the driving test is ludicrously easy. All I had to do was drive around a single block, and then I was given a license. That means that America has a great many really bad drivers. Thanks to a gross misinterpretation of the Constitution, many of these drivers carry guns. So which dumb-ass pencil neck came up with the 4-way stop sign? Whoever stops first, goes first. If everyone stops together, give way to the car on your right. Yeah, right.
There are countless others, but I am too pissed-off to keep going. Add some of yours to the comments, and I'll probably come back and add a few there myself.