Posted Nov 09, 2004 in Personal.
Back by popular demand! Here are a few more things that annoy me:
- Misuse of the word “troops”
- Fifty soldiers is not equivalent to fifty troops. Fifty troops implies a much greater number of soldiers. So when CNN refers to the death of six troops, it is actually referring to the death of six soldiers.
- Phone bills
- Why do I have to pay for incoming calls on my cell phone? That's a disgraceful bit of fleecing. I think it is a bit rich that I'm required to pay a monthly fee for the honor of owning a cellular phone, but paying for incoming calls is out of order.
- Oil prices
- It takes months to ship, refine, and deliver gasoline to the pump. When oil prices go down, the oil companies tell us it takes months for the savings to filter down to the price at the pump. Yet when prices go up, this fact is conveniently forgotten and the price shoots up.
- Oil prices 2
- Why is it that gasoline prices are always quoted as $2.03.9, or something like that? Why is there always nine-tenths of a cent tacked on the end? Why don't they just admit they are trying to pull a fast one on us and price it as $2.04. 10 gallons at $2.03.9 is $20.39 - almost 10 cents more than it appears to be.