DreamHost excels

Posted Dec 03, 2004 in Blogging, si-blog, Technology.

For a few months now, I have been using DreamHost for all my web hosting needs. At first, I moved my business site to DreamHost to see how good they were. Now I have all of my domains hosted with them, and thus far the service has been absolutely faultless.

And now it is even better. DreamHost have just tripled the included bandwidth for shared hosting, after recently increasing the number of domains I could have. For $15.95 per month, I am now getting all this:

• 24 hour technical support
  • 2.5 gigabytes of storage
  • 192 gigabytes of bandwidth per month
  • Unlimited MySQL databases
  • 15 full domains hosted
  • 75 sub domains hosted

There's more besides. For a full list, see this comparison table. I have the Code Monster plan, which more than covers my needs.

Automatic WordPress

A new feature is the ability to install WordPress with a single click. This is a great service for novice users - they can purchase hosting, which comes with a free domain name, and setup WordPress at the touch of a button. A totally hassle-free way to get blogging.

Update: For those who are interested, DreamHost will host any top-level domain.

Comments

Sweet monkey Tuesdays, that's one heck of an improvement! Too expensive for my needs, but dude, quite sweet.

Posted by Rob Mientjes on Dec 03, 2004.

Just 16 dollar?! For all that? I just can't believe it :-) Do they host .nl domains as well?

Posted by Anne on Dec 03, 2004.

I don't see why not, Anne. Go to their forum and ask a question about it - they allow non-customers to ask questions to help them decide whether or not to go with them. If you decide to sign up, go through one of my links (I get a kick-back)!

Posted by Simon Jessey on Dec 03, 2004.

If only they had JSP... :-(

Posted by Stephan Segraves on Dec 04, 2004.

In my experience, Java Server Pages are really only used in medium to large business sites, so having it on a cheapo shared hosting plan would be a waste of time. DreamHost does support it on dedicated servers, of course. My wife works with JSPs, but the website she works on is a mutual fund company's behemoth.

For more information about what aspects of Java they DO support, see this knowledgebase question: https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=840

Posted by Simon Jessey on Dec 04, 2004.

I am needing JSP for a class next semester and since I don't have a free box to throw Gentoo on with Tomcat I have been looking for a decent host that already has it installed.

I still may move my site though because that is a price that you just don't pass up.

Posted by Stephan Segraves on Dec 04, 2004.

Anne, they only host .com, .org, and .net domains.

Check:

Posted by rogier on Dec 04, 2004.

Actually Rogier, if you read that again, it says that DreamHost DOES host any top-level domain; however, they can only REGISTER .com, .org, and .net domains. So Anne can use DreamHost if he wants to.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Dec 04, 2004.

Aaah, kay :-)

I was to fast...

Posted by rogier on Dec 04, 2004.

Simon: I have been using Dreamhost since March of 2004 and I think it's one of the best hosting decisions I've ever made. After leap frogging from different hosting services I finally settled on Dreamhost after noticing that John Martz of robotjohnny.com used them. Oh yeah, John, if you're reading this, go ahead and retroactively add yourself as a referrer.

Anyhow, I seriously think they are one of the best, if not the best hosting service out there. Certainly the price is right and many of their features including the inclusion and option of donating to charities and now Wordpress installations put Dreamhost at the top of their league in my opinion.

At the moment I have about 6 domains hosted under one account and according to Dreamhost's hosting provisions I can have up to 15 domains hosted under my Code Monster account, which to me is great because otherwise I'd have to find different hosts for these domains, many of which just sit there until I figure out what I'm going to do with them.

Posted by kartooner on Dec 08, 2004.

Erik: Yeah, you are so right. DreamHost really does seem to be the perfect shared hosting solution at the moment, and at a bargain price. I'm on the same plan as you.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Dec 08, 2004.

I use http://wordpress-hosting.com for about 3 months now and I am using their standard plan I get 1 gigabyte of space, 50 gigs of xfer, 5 hosted domains and other stuff plus full ssh access for $10/months.

Posted by Ron Jefferies on Dec 08, 2004.

I've been hosting with DreamHost since 1996, they are the best and are constantly adding new features to their plans.

The one thing I think I like best about them is the ease of setting up any cgi script, nobody makes it easier. They are the best!!!

happiness is being owned by cats ...

Posted by Belinda Sauro on Dec 10, 2004.

Stephan, (I don't know if you are reading this or not)

I believe lunarpages.com supports JSP

They have an awesome reputation for hosting (though I'm not with them)

and I suggest you look into them :)

Posted by Teja on Dec 11, 2004.

Toldja so! ;-)

Posted by Basil Crow on Dec 27, 2004.

I have also had a good experience with Dreamhost. The only legitamate review site also has good things to say:

Posted by Jim S on Jan 03, 2005.

Hey, I just signed up with dreamhost and noticed they have a referrer system. I felt a bit altruistic today, so I entered you, since this was the first site with a referral id I found.

Enjoy :)

Posted by Shunyata on Jan 06, 2005.

Thank you, Shunyata. I appreciate that.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jan 07, 2005.

Hi guys, I'm with dreamhost for over a year now and I have to say they are a great website, their service is second to none and their prices versus features is unreal.

Recently I was going to transfer a domain away from easyspace.com but they were trying to stick me with a £50 (brit pound) fee for this, so I left it for theat moment, but then attempted to transfer my domain reg to dreamhost and they did it all for me and it didn't cost me a penny, so they actually saved me about $90 dollars.

The only thing I wished they provided was a reseller account, because at the moment my plan has 120gb of save, which I'm never going to use.

Posted by David Callan on Jan 08, 2005.

"Simon I'm in the affiliate program too, but not earning any cash at the moment, any tips?"

I haven't been credited with anything yet, so I am not sure how reliable the rewards program is.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jan 11, 2005.