Too much of me

Posted Jan 10, 2005 in Health.

For at least 20 years, I have been overweight. As a young teenager, I had a penchant for Golden Wonder cheese and onion crisps (potato chips) and Cherry Coke. Later on, it was cheeseburgers. I've always eaten more than necessary, because I like the feeling of being full, and the result has been that I've added around 14 pounds a year for those 20 years. I haven't been able to weigh myself for many years, but I would estimate that I weigh at least 400 pounds (around 29 stone).

This cannot go on. My poor condition is starting to scare me. I've tried dieting before, with limited success, but this time I must stick with it.

My wife and I spent some time over the weekend making a meal plan that suits everyone in the house. We will all basically eat the same thing, but my meal will be modified to take into account my dietary needs. That is going to be a big help, because it is hard to diet when everyone else is eating pizzas, burgers, and fried chicken.

It's only day one of around 700 (an estimate based on the desire to lose around 2 pounds a week), but I feel more confident about my prospects this time. I've just ordered a high-capacity scale that should allow me to weigh myself. I am hoping that being able to measure my weight-loss will give me a psychological boost.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Good luck! I'm in the middle of a similar plan, having gone from 325 pounds down to 299 (no, I will *not* round that number!) since September. I've made smarter choices, toned down portions, and increased water intake. One of these days I'll exercise properly.
    My biggest advice would be to not deprive yourself completely of things you really love. Have one slice of pizza or a small cheeseburger on occassion. Also, don't be a slave to the scale - I'm happier when I weigh in weekly rather than every day or even every time I pass the scale.
    If you're struggling for healthy recipes, I recommend checking for Weight Watchers cookbooks in your local library or getting magazines such as Cooking Light and Light & Tasty.

Posted by Bill on Jan 10, 2005.

Given daily fluctuations, I wasn't intending to weigh myself more than once a week. I can survive without pizza, but you are right about cheeseburgers. Perhaps if I lose the slice of cheese...

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jan 10, 2005.

The Google ads for this entry are funny. Potato chips everywhere!

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jan 10, 2005.

Good luck Simon!!

Posted by Mike P. on Jan 10, 2005.

Two years ago this month I decided that to still the nagging of my then girlfried I would try and give up smoking. I had no intention of giving up, it was merely a token effort. To my utter suprise I did give up (bear in mind I smoked around 40 a day) and she, so far as I know, is still a smoker. My point is you can do it Simon! Also thanks for the reminder that now I'm a web developer I'd better do something about my eating habits before I need a trolley to get around.

Posted by Matthew on Jan 11, 2005.

Funny you should talk about smoking, Matthew. I'd been a 70-a-day smoker until the summer of 1998, when I just stopped abruptly. Being from the UK, smoking was costing me a fortune at the time, and it simply wasn't compatible with the kind of future I was looking for. Of course, I immediately put on even MORE weight.

But giving up smoking is EASY when compared with trying to lose weight. You can't "give up" food. You have to keep on eating, and you are surrounded by nice things to eat all the time. Dieting is the ultimate test of willpower, especially for the clinically obese.

Oh, and "cold turkey" means something different to dieters. It's very nice with mashed potato and gravy!

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jan 11, 2005.

Good luck and best wishes on your weight loss journey. I would like to suggest that you check out www.obesityhelp.com. They do cater to the gastric bypass patient but it is for anyone who struggles with obesity. I dont like chat rooms but their main messageboard has been a big help to me. I understand the struggle it is to lose weight. I tried many diets and ended up with having bypass. I have lost 198 pounds to date. Exercise is why I have succeed as well as I have. Keep that in mind. My friend Herb has been on Atkins for a year and a half and has lost 270 pounds. You have to find what works best for you. Wishing you the greatest success.

Posted by Lisa DiRuzza on Jan 11, 2005.

Good luck! I have been doing something about my weight recently too. Get some good references, a calorie counter and obsessively record everything you eat. Drink plenty of water and start exercising more. For me, walking is the best/easiest option. Simple things like walking instead of driving to the shops do wonders. I try to fit in a half hour walk each day during my lunch break, and another half hour or so each night. Grab an mp3 player, load it up with your favourite tunes (or a radio program like Quirks and Quarks http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/) and start walking.

A friend of mine has a site (http://www.fatloser.org/) where he is logging his efforts to lose weight. He has links to "The Hacker's Diet", which is a pretty interesting (and free) book plus there's several interesting essays on his progress.

Once again, good luck.

Posted by arb on Jan 12, 2005.

Yeah I guess I know what you mean Simon, food and temptation is everywhere. I was just trying to say that it is possible to acheive things like weight loss and you're not alone, I need to loose weight too.

Posted by Matthew on Jan 13, 2005.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
    i no hw u feel simon. Trust me, i need 2 loose weight 2 bt ur not alione in dis so dnt worry!!!!!!!

Posted by Ayesha on Jan 18, 2005.