Warmer

Posted Apr 06, 2005 in Weather.

For the first time this year, the weather in my area (near Philadelphia) has hit almost eighty degrees. Eager to experience the Sun this morning, I put on my sunglasses and went outside with the dog. It was gorgeous. Daffodils were bursting forth everywhere I looked, and the blue sky was only broken by the occasional contrail.

The beautiful vista was shattered by a wasp the size of my hand diving at me - I swear it had a mean smile on its face. Readers may remember previous encounters I have had with them. Why is it the nice weather must always be spoiled by insects?

Comments

I wish the weather was like that here... We had great temperatures a few days ago then yesterday and today we've had sustained winds in the 40 mph range with gusts up to 60mph.

Posted by Stephan Segraves on Apr 06, 2005.

Yes and another beautiful day today up here just outside of Norristown. And then woohoo here comes more flooding tonight.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Apr 07, 2005.

It's quite a bit cloudier today, but it should still be quite nice until the run comes later. Did you get any flooding problems, Stephen?

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 07, 2005.

Well on the 2 occasions that it rained last week, my basement flooded. Last Saturday, when it really rained, my front yard turned into a pond and i had about 2 inched of water in a few parts of the basement.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Apr 07, 2005.

I have a creek running across my backyard. My house is built on a downslope, and the creek is about 4 feet below the basement. When it crested last week, the creek turned into a 25ft-wide river that came up about one third of the distance to my house, which equates to about a foot below basement level. I've yet to see it flood the basement.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 07, 2005.

Lucky.

The problem for me is just bad drainage and old basement walls.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Apr 07, 2005.

"The problem for me is just bad drainage and old basement walls."

You don't have to tell me about THAT. See these earlier entries:
    1. Plumbing woes
    2. New terms to learn
    3. Home again

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 07, 2005.

The joy of homeownership. We bought our "fixer-upper" 2.5 years ago but have never had a problem as catastophic as yours, thank god.

What actually happened? The posts just talk about the damage.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Apr 07, 2005.

Ahhhh, my gravitar appears. My dog, Blue.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Apr 07, 2005.

"What actually happened?"

The main sewer line, running from the storm drain under the street to the house, never had much pitch. Whenever there was a lot of rain, the overflow from the storm drain would burble up and spread shit all over our front yard, and our system would back up so that we couldn't flush our toilets, etc.

To make matters worse, our sewer line ruptured in several places, causing raw sewage from the area to seep into the ground of our front yard - and consequently into our basement through the walls. Eventually, we were forced to pump raw sewage out of our basement whenever it rained.

One day, the sewer line backed up and pressure built up. It blew the seals in one of our bathrooms, and water poured through a ceiling into our kitchen. At that point, we had no choice but to vacate the property for a while, and spend a fortune fixing the entire plumbing system. It cost about $20,000 - and we could only get about $3,000 of that in insurance (the main sewer line is NOT covered by a standard insurance policy). A sewage ejector pit in our basement now pumps our sewage through a backflow valve up to the storm drain, and the valve prevents storm overflow from entering our system.

The new plumbing tore up our front yard, forcing us to spend a fortune having it regraded and reseeded. We STILL have big holes in the kitchen ceiling, but at least we managed to repair and decorate our two bathrooms.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 08, 2005.

Simon, don't forget that because of the leaking sewer line the front porch sank, the support posts fell over, and we had to build a new porch. Lovely.

Posted by Deborah Jessey on Apr 11, 2005.

Aaah, but what a porch we have now!

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 11, 2005.