New Pope

Posted Apr 19, 2005 in Events.

The new Pope is Benedict XVI, born Joseph Ratzinger. He was born in Bavaria on April 16th, 1927. Since 1981, the then Cardinal Ratzinger has been prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, formerly known as the Inquisition. Ratzinger is one of the most socio-culturally conservative figures in the Vatican. He has warned against the dangers of radical secularism, homosexual “marriage,” the decline of European culture, and disregard for the unborn.

In 1986, Ratzinger issued a letter to the Catholic Bishops in which he wrote that homosexuality was a “tendency” towards an “intrinsic moral evil”. A few years later, in 1992, he rejected the notion of human rights for gays, stressing that their civil liberties could be “legitimately limited”. He followed up by remarking that “neither the church nor society should be surprised” if “irrational and violent reactions increase” when gays demand civil rights.

Ratzinger wrote that Harry Potter books represent a potential for a “subtle deception” that “is barely noticeable and for that reason penetrates deeply”, a deception that could be a “subversion of Christianity in the inward being.” Personally, I could've sworn they were just children's stories.

Catholics who hoped for a relaxation of rules and doctrine concerning birth control, abortion, inclusivity, homosexuality, and women's rights are going to have to wait until the next guy, I'm afraid. The insanity will go on.

Comments

I saw a comment left on the Wikipedia entry (sure to be erased): "He is the Emperor in Star Wars!" I had to laugh - it immediately conjured up this image a "Darth Ratzinger", clad in a hooded robe and carrying a sceptre from which bolts of dark-side energy emerge.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 19, 2005.

Benedict XVI will be a great, if relatively short lived, Pope. The only thing I am surprised at is that so many people seem surprised that the Cardinals elected a solidly Catholic Pope rather than a wimpy, lets change everything so we all feel good about ourselves, pseudo Catholic.

Posted by gary on Apr 22, 2005.

Oh it doesn't surprise me at all. Pope John Paul II was responsible for stuffing the conclave with his brand of Cardinal, so a continuation of the same was always on the cards. I was just hoping for someone a little less conservative, so that huge sectors of society would feel less alienated by the Catholic Church.

Since I'm not a Catholic, none of this is really any of my business. It's just that I haven't learned to keep my mouth shut yet :D

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 22, 2005.

One look at your picture explanes why you love homo's so much...
    You look like a total fruit booty yourself.

Posted by james on Apr 23, 2005.

It is neither contradictory nor insane to believe that God designed man for woman and vice versa--but NOT man for man or woman for woman. Psychologists used to list homosexuality as a disorder in the DSM until they bowed to political pressure. I love everyone, but not informing someone they have a defect (i.e. deluding them into thinking they are normal) is not love.

Posted by Anon on Apr 23, 2005.

James: I'm a heterosexual. In fact, I'm a little uncomfortable with homosexuality.

Anon: As I said to James, I am a little uncomfortable with homosexuality (it just doesn't seem RIGHT to me); however, I have no objection to the existence of homosexuality. I can see no reason why members of the same sex cannot be in love with one another - as deeply in love as members of the opposite sex can be. I've already indicated that I don't believe that "God" has anything to do with it anyway.

I think it is an extraordinary act of hypocracy when a religion can stand so firmly against some forms of love, yet turn a blind eye to atrocities and abuse.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 24, 2005.