New Amazon masthead

Posted Apr 28, 2005 in Browsers, Electronic Commerce, Web Design.

Amazon.com is serving a new masthead to users of non-IE browsers:

Amazon masthead screenshots

I've only checked Opera and Firefox, but both show the new masthead. Opera (presumably because of a JavaScript issue) is missing the fancy hover that comes up over “See All 31 Product Categories”. Internet Explorer is showing the old version. The new design is far more appealing and intuitive than the old one.

Comments

Don't see it. Prolly just random testing then.

Posted by Rob Mientjes on Apr 28, 2005.

It may be related to my Amazon prime membership too, which is probably only available to customers in the US.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 28, 2005.

I got the new design too. See also: Adactio: Possible Amazon redesign in the pipeline

Posted by Anne on Apr 28, 2005.

Thanks for the link, Anne (I turned it into a clickable link manually - I get too many comment spammers to consider turning on autolinking). I really like the new design - minimalist, but in-keeping with Amazon tradition. How about you?

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 29, 2005.

Yeah, the design looks better than the previous, but the markup is horrid. Perhaps I shouldn't look at that though :-)

Posted by Anne on Apr 29, 2005.

When all is said and done, 99.99% of the world's most successful websites have horrid markup. Sad, but true. Sooner or later, people will come around to our way of thinking, because it simply makes good business sense. The extraordinary lethargy and lack of dynamism displayed by the W3C is one reason why adopters are few and far between.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Apr 29, 2005.

I had the new design for a few days and now they give me the old on :(

I kind of aggree with your W3C comment. It would be nice if people came round to our way of thinking as, at that point, we would be ahead of the game. Unfortunately, I expect that the sheep will blindly follow whatever overly complex and proprietary path the crowd in Redmond take, whether it makes any business sense or not.

Posted by Adrian on Apr 30, 2005.

I had the new version over the weekend when using FireFox, but today it reverted back to the old design.

I am also a Prime member.

Posted by Craig on May 02, 2005.

I continue to receive the new design. Maybe I'm special!

Posted by Simon Jessey on May 06, 2005.

I like it, even though as people have described on here, it suddenly doesn't show up anymore. It's as if Bezos is taunting me with a glazed-covered carrot; "Here you go, yes, like it? Okay, we're taking it back. Cherrio!*"

* I tossed that in because sometimes I wish I had a British accent, even if I can somewhat impersonate an Aussie, is that close enough?

Posted by kartooner on May 06, 2005.

-- I tossed that in because sometimes I wish I had a British accent, even if I can somewhat impersonate an Aussie, is that close enough?

It depends if your British or Australian, doesn't it? I've lost count of the number of times that an American has lit up with a big smile when I've said something, and then followed it with, "Oh! I love your accent. Which part of Australia are you from?" To which I reply, "I'm British, and I'm not the one with the accent!"

Posted by Simon Jessey on May 06, 2005.

I have firefox 1.03 at work and at home, both on xp
    when i browse amazon in my account at home it shows the new one
    when i browse at work it shows the old one, i cleared chashe and im not a prime customer i only ever orderd twice from amazon. im waiting to see if they are goign to implement this or not

Posted by Luis on May 08, 2005.

I'm on Firefox 1.3 in Australia, and I'm getting the new header too, every time. Bizarre.

Posted by David on May 12, 2005.