PlayStation 3

Posted May 17, 2005 in Events, Gadgets, Technology.

With E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) set to open tomorrow, Sony has unveiled the new PlayStation 3 console, due to be released in Spring 2006. Thirty-fives times faster than the PlayStation 2, and twice as fast as Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony hopes to maintain its domination of the console market. They released a few specifications to whet the gamer's appetite:

• 3.2GHz Cell processor
  • 256Mb XDR RAM at 3.2GHz
  • 256Mb GDDR VRAM at 700MHz
  • Memory Stick Duo, SD, and Compact Flash memory slots
  • Detachable 2.5 inch hard disk drive
  • Six USB ports for various peripherals
  • Support for seven Bluetooth controllers
  • Output in HDTV up to 1080p as standard
  • Supports Blu-ray DVD format

There is no word yet on any kind of price, but I expect it to sell a shitload in any case.

Comments

Ill probably get the Xbox 360. Mainly because I have an Xbox and it will be backward compatible. And how many gamestations do I really need, anyway?

Posted by Stephen Collins on May 17, 2005.

That controller is ugly. Thanks for the news though!

Posted by Anne on May 17, 2005.

The controller reminds me of the Cylon attack craft in Battlestar Galactica, for some reason.

Posted by Simon Jessey on May 17, 2005.

I'm sold on the PS3 - even if the specs are half of what they say they are, it would still technically beat the XBOX. It looks like XBOX just rolled out a machine as quick as they could. It seems as if Sony has been designing since the release of PS2, and the XBOX designers got together 3 months ago. I think this illustrates just how little Bill Gates really cares for the Gaming Industry; worse case scenario for Bill would be him losing a couple bucks and retreating to the world of home pcs. And since we're on the topic, doesn't the XBOX resemble a home entertainment center? Disgusting.

Posted by Donnie Jeter on May 17, 2005.

Well the specs sound awesome, and I reckon i'll get one. But god it's ugly. I prefer the look of the PS2, and that controller. What were they thinking?

Posted by James on May 18, 2005.

It's about time someone started using USB for everything.

Posted by J. King on May 18, 2005.

Must just agree how ugly it is....is that realy the best design they could come up with??...there must be thousends off designers who had a better design ideas than that. It looks just plain cheap....
    P.s im gona buy it anyway =)

Posted by Anonymous on May 22, 2005.

Wow!, Wow!, all I can say is that I have no idea what you are thinking. This is the sleekest design that I have ever seen in my life. A lot of thought was put in to this to make it appeal to both a man and a woman. I agree the controller is not great, but it's bearable.

Posted by gregory bowman on May 25, 2005.

The XBox 360 has been in development since the first XBox was released (and probably before). The 360 has a much cleaner look while the PS3 looks like a hunk of junk aluminum. The funny thing is that they will both be using PowerPC architecture... Wonder how many modded XBox 360s we'll see. I like the fact that the PS3s controllers are Bluetooth while the 360's are 2.4Ghz.

I don't want to use Blu-Ray... The 360 has Dual Layer DVD capability, I'll be sticking with that.

Posted by Stephan Segraves on May 31, 2005.