Jolie and Pitt

Posted Jun 14, 2005 in Movies.

I saw the first movie on my list, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, yesterday. It was a fairly enjoyable romp, much in the same vein as True Lies, but with better looking people. As ever, Angelina Jolie was simply gorgeous. Is there any doubt that she is the most beautiful woman in today's movie business? Brad Pitt, on the hand, looked better as a vampire; however, he made a good partner for Jolie.

Anyone who likes good-looking people, wry humor, and plenty of high-tech gunplay will enjoy this movie. Jolie and Pitt obviously had enormous fun making the movie, but the film's most amusing character is played by Vince Vaughn, who reminded me of the Tom Arnold character in the aforementioned True Lies.

The final shootout reminded my wife and I of the scene at the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, except that in Mr. & Mrs. Smith you actually get to see the pair engage the Bolivian army, so to speak. Ultimately, however, the number of shootouts became a bit tedious, and the film was probably 20-30 minutes too long. Still, I'm glad I went to see it.

Comments

VERY much like True Lies.

Jolie is amazing, but I am enamored to no end by Nicole Kidman.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Jun 14, 2005.

I can't stand Nicole Kidman, personally. I don't think she's particularly attractive, and I don't think she's much of an actress either. Still, each to their own.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 14, 2005.

I can't help it. My wife agrees with you.

But I'm smitten.

Posted by Stephen Collins on Jun 15, 2005.

"My wife agrees with you."

Ooh! Maybe you should tell me more about your wife! ;)

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 15, 2005.

I have not seen the film yet but Miss Jolie is certainly a good enough reason to part with a few quid. I have to say that it is the 'War of the Worlds' remake I am looking forward to the most. However, I just wish Steve had remained faithful to the book and based the film in the UK.

Posted by Tim on Jun 16, 2005.

It is my understanding that despite the changes that have been made to the story line, the movie is very good indeed (judging from initial reviews). In fact, I've heard that it is "a return to Spielberg's very best form, with incredible drama and special effects."

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 16, 2005.