London bombed

Posted Jul 07, 2005 in England, Events, Politics, War.

Terrorism has, once again, reared its ugly head in the western world. In a coordinated attack, several bombs have been exploded in the heart of London, in an attempt to paralyze the London transportation system. Early indications suggest that the bombings are the work of Al-Qaeda.

There are several fatalities, and several hundred people have been injured - some most seriously. One of the explosions ripped the top off of a London bus in London's Tavistock Square, and several other explosions have occurred on the London Underground. The terrorists have apparently timed the explosions to coincide with the beginning of the G8 (Group of Eight) summit.

Note to family and friends: I'd like to thank everyone who has contacted me to ask about the safety of my family and friends in England. I've heard from almost everyone, and it appears that all are safe and well.

Note to terrorists: Terrorism will never be successful at bending the will of people. All it does is strengthen their resolve. You may succeed in killing and maiming, but you will never further your cause. Never.

Update: I've been watching coverage on various television networks, including the feed being screened on BBC America. I'm impressed with the excellent work of London's emergency services, and with the strength and calmness of the people involved. I am also pleased to see support from countries around the world - kind words have been spoken by many world leaders, some of whom are well aware of what it is like to suffer acts of terrorism.

Comments

Seems ironic that this morning I am stood in a room at Gleneagles with eight heads of state protected by 10,000 police equipped with every bit of weapon technology whilst the London area appears unprotected with 8,000,000 people. This worries me. Have we got this right?

Posted by Mike Jessey on Jul 07, 2005.

I am glad to hear that your family and friends are ok.

It's makes me so mad...I was in London in February and found it to be the best city I've every had the pleasure of visiting. My heart goes out to the city and the country and the people there.

Posted by Todd on Jul 07, 2005.

"Have we got this right?" -- Before the attacks occurred, most people would've probably said that the G8 summit was a higher-profile target than the capital. Indeed, a strike against those world leaders would probably have provoked a far greater response than the attack on Londoners. But this summit is of crucial importance, and so it has to be properly protected.

To be honest, Dad, I'm glad you DO have all those police around. The summit is STILL a high-risk place to be, and I feel much better knowing that you have good protection around you.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jul 07, 2005.

"I am glad to hear that your family and friends are ok." -- Thank you, Todd. My family and I appreciate your words of support. I'm glad you enjoyed visiting London. I hope you have a chance to visit it again.

It is worth mentioning that London has weathered the terrorist storm before, and doubtless she will do so again. London will still be a great city long after all the terrorists are dead, and their causes long forgotten.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jul 07, 2005.

"Terrorism will never be successful at bending the will of people."

Posted by Stephen Collins on Jul 07, 2005.

"I hope you have a chance to visit it again."

Definitely Simon, most definitely we will go back to visit. My wife and I and our friends had such a great time there.

I feel for the people of London...everyone was so nice and helpful to us, we felt very welcome.

I'm sure that the residents there are strong and will not let these cowardly actions bring them down.

Posted by Todd on Jul 07, 2005.

"Seems to me it was pretty successful here. People scared to go to NY, people scared to fly, the Patriot Act, people ACTUALLY ACCEPTING Patriot Act." -- Being afraid of the actions of terrorists is a natural thing. If a fundamentalist Islamic extremist (and I mean no disrespect to the REAL followers of Islam) bombs me, I might well be afraid of him, but I will NEVER feel inclined to support his cause.

As far as the Patriot Act is concerned, I know that opinion is very divided. It is true that the Act has made this country a safer place, but it is also true that it has brought about disgraceful infringements of civil liberty. The Act, as it stands, is a shameful piece of legislation.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jul 07, 2005.

I just don't know what to say

Posted by Sophia Introna on Jul 11, 2005.

If I could just sort this problem out I would be honored to give some money to the people who have lost their homes and children because of the bomb.

Note from Simon: I have slightly edited Sophia's comments to make the meaning clearer.

Posted by Sophia Introna on Jul 11, 2005.