Posted Jul 28, 2005 in Events, Politics, War.

I have always hated Gerry Adams, and his like, for what the Irish Republican Army (IRA) did to innocent victims during its armed campaign. I never thought I'd ever be grateful for anything Adams did; however, I am pleased to say that I believe I have him to thank for finally ending the IRA's armed campaign.

Today's statement is wonderful news, and finally allows the organization's goals to move forward. I still don't agree with their desire for a united Irish Republic, but I'm happy that they have chosen to adopt political means to try and achieve it. Hopefully, the IRA will abandon all criminal activity as well.

Comments

Just to clarify something - It still HATE Gerry Adams, but I wanted to give credit where credit was due. For the IRA to give up their armed campaign is a really BIG DEAL, but it in NO WAY excuses the atrocities they did. If the IRA continue with all their criminal activities, the pledge to use political means to achieve their goals will be pretty hollow.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jul 28, 2005.

It's tough for Americans to pick one side or the other in this issue. On one hand, terrorism against civilians is unacceptable. On the other hand, we enacted a little terrorism of our own when we broke off from Britain 200 years ago.

Posted by Graham on Jul 28, 2005.

Graham, in this particular case, the USA government has had ties to IRA terrorism in the past, for example.

Posted by Jim on Jul 28, 2005.

Historically-speaking, all nations of the world are guilty of acts of terrorism - my native Britain is no exception. Modern terrorism normally revolves around religious extremism, but disagreements over territory and governance (like in Northern Ireland) still exist.

The USA has traditionally been a huge source of funding for the IRA, with somewhere around 40 million Americans claiming Irish ancestry. Imagine the outrage that would result if it was discovered that Americans has been funding Al-Qaeda? You can see why the British found it galling when Gerry Adams was welcomed in the US. Ironically, there are almost as many Americans with English ancestry as there are with Irish (see Wikipedia article on US demographics). The Americans with British (English, Scottish, Welsh combined) ancestry outnumber those with Irish ancestry.

I don't think it is tough to pick sides - you should always side AGAINST terrorism. Unfortunately, it isn't as clear-cut as that. Powerful nations do not need to resort to terrorism to get what they want. Here in the US, for example, we simply declare war on the offending issue ("War on [insert convenient noun here]") and indicate that this gives us the right to do whatever we like on the soil of other nations. The Iraq "war" is a classic example of this.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jul 28, 2005.

Very good point Simon,

Personally I despise all people who seek to bully and intimidate others who don't agree with their point of view.... and that includes Jerry Adams, Bin Laden, Bush, Blair...... and me sometimes.

Posted by Tim on Jul 30, 2005.

No one agrees with your point-of-view, Tim. That's because you're always wrong!

Seriously, though, I think that is a pretty good philosophy. Bullying people into submission is exactly what terrorists try to achieve, and in that respect you could argue that the likes of George W. Bush do the very same thing.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jul 30, 2005.

Non-Roman Catholics in Northern Ireland are in for a hard time in the years ahead. They are being actively discriminated against by a raft of pro irish-republican do gooders, politicians (including Prime Minister Blair) and high rnanking civil-servants. Blair is dancing to Gerry Adams's tunes and will do anything he demands to make sure that no more IRA bombs are detonated on the British mainland. Northern Ireland will be sacrificed when the time comes - and that may be fairly soon if Adams and Maginnis decide to apply a little more pressure. When General Eisenhower visited Belfast in 1945 he said- "It was here in Northern Ireland that the American Army first began to concentrate for our share in the attack upon the citadel of continental Europe. From here started the long,hard march to Allied Victory. Without Northern Ireland I do not see how the American Forces could have been concentrated to begin the invasion of Europe. If Ulster had not been a definite, co-operative part of the British Empire and had not been available for our use, I do not see how the build-up could have been carried out in England".
    Eire refused to co-operate or make available any assistance to the USA during World War 2.
    General Eisenhower would not be happy with Prime Minister Blair's capitulation to Provisional IRA terrorism whilst taking a very strong stand against Muslim terrorism

Posted by Alex on Aug 03, 2005.

"On the other hand, we enacted a little terrorism of our own when we broke off from Britain 200 years ago."

Lets not forget the recent act of terrorism against Iraq that's killed over 100,000 innocent civilians. No ties to Al Qaeda, no weapons of mass destruction, no nothing. Just a complete act of aggression against a country that was absolutely no threat to us and had nothing to do with 9/11.

Posted by simon on Aug 04, 2005.

My namesake has a point, although I would argue that Iraq WAS a threat to our country - just not as serious a threat as Bush and Blair led us to believe. Also, Iraq certainly DOES have ties to Al-Qaeda.

Anyway, we are wandering off topic just a wee bit.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Aug 05, 2005.

When the british were standing by watching the orange loyalists do absolutely NOTHING to protect the Catholics in the North of Ireland, the IRA became the saviours and defenders of the Catholics. You hear all your british/US propaganda ~ which you are meant to hear ~ because it perpetuates what the brit/US want you to believe ~ and you do believe it because you think it is fact. Your facts are way off. The brits have been killing the Catholics in the North of Ireland for years. The british government is in collusion with the loyalist death squads there. You hear the IRA is a gang of bullies. YOur problem is that you actually believe it. Have you ever heard of "PSYCH OPS"? (PSYCHOLOGICAL OPERATIONS) I think you should look it up and do some research. The only terrorists actively at work right now, aside from Al Quaida etal, are bush the asshole and his power hungry, greedy for world domination supporters.

Posted by Ogirl on Aug 18, 2005.

I agree with part of what you say, Ogirl ("bush the asshole and his power hungry, greedy for world domination supporters") but much of the rest of what you say seems rather skewed and ill-informed; however, never let it be said that I didn't give everyone their say!

Posted by Simon Jessey on Aug 18, 2005.

You are from the U.K. no? I guess I wouldn't like Gerry Adams either if I were from there. Go to Ireland though and you'll wonder what the hell the UK is doing there.

Posted by ispy on Aug 19, 2005.

"Irish and Palestinians identify with eachother for an obvious reason - occupation."

You need to get your facts right, ispy. Ireland was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland between 1800 and 1922, and under British rule for hundreds of years before that. Irish independence is only a relatively recent concept, and most people in Northern Ireland wish to remain part of the Union. In 2004, 59% wanted to remain part of the United Kingdom, and only 22% were in favor of a United Ireland.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Aug 20, 2005.

Just on a lighter note....

Does any one remember when they dubbed Jerry Adams's voice in the 70's and 80's with another Irish Voice. The funniest thing was when they actually used his voice is was exactly the same as the dubbed Irish voice. I was never to sure if I was expecting a cockney accent to throw us all.

Andy

Posted by Andrew Barr on Sep 02, 2005.