One nation

Posted Sep 16, 2005 in Miscellaneous, Personal, Politics.

Consider this an informal survey of my readers. I'd like to get your opinions on the “The Pledge of Allegiance” wording. Feel free to comment anonymously if you wish. Which of these do you prefer?

1. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
  2. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under Allah, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
  3. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under various gods, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
  4. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation divided by religion, with liberty and justice for all.”
  5. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under the Flying Spaghetti Monster, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
  6. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under the Lords of Kobol, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
  7. “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
  8. * None of the above.

I expect comments to be a useful contribution to the discussion and remain civil at all times, please.

* Gareth makes a good point in the comments. Religion is not the only aspect of the Pledge that is flawed, and a more significant rewording may be in order. Perhaps some commenters can come up with their own Pledge?

Comments

How about "None of the above" ?

I know you're making a point about separation of church and state, but any pledge at all is kind of weird.

What for example does someone who believes that their state should secede from the union do?

Also making children take pledges in school that they really don't understand is either futile or reprehensible or both.

Posted by Gareth Simpson on Sep 16, 2005.

You make a very valid point, Gareth. I had not considered the wider view of whether or not the Pledge is flawed on many levels. I will add an update to the entry immediately.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Sep 16, 2005.

I am SHOCKED and OFFENDED that you have egregiously excluded the Church of the Invisible Pink Unicorn from your pledge alternatives! (Peace Be Unto Her) (May Her Holy Hooves Never Be Shod!)

The Invisible Pink Unicorn is a being of great spiritual power. We know this because she is capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorn is based upon both LOGIC AND FAITH. We have faith that she is pink; we logically know that she is invisible because we can't see her.

I will be protesting on outside of your blog headquaters until further notice!

Now...would you be so kind as to give me the address of said blog heaquarters so that I may pickett you?

Posted by Graham on Sep 16, 2005.

Please accept my humble apologies, Graham, for utterly ignoring your faith in my blog entry. I would be happy to furnish you with the address of the si-blog HQ:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
    Washington, DC 20500

Posted by Simon Jessey on Sep 16, 2005.

hello,

i really like this revised pledge of allegiance. but i'm a non-us citizen (although i lived a year in Philly as a teenager) with a lot of sympathy for its people though:)

here i copy paste it :

We believe that as people living
    in the United States it is our
    responsibility to resist the injustices
    done by our government,
    in our names

Not in our name
    will you wage endless war
    there can be no more deaths
    no more transfusions
    of blood for oil

Not in our name
    will you invade countries
    bomb civilians, kill more children
    letting history take its course
    over the graves of the nameless

Not in our name
    will you erode the very freedoms
    you have claimed to fight for

Not by our hands
    will we supply weapons and funding
    for the annihilation of families
    on foreign soil

Not by our mouths
    will we let fear silence us

Not by our hearts
    will we allow whole peoples
    or countries to be deemed evil

Not by our will
    and Not in our name

We pledge resistance

We pledge alliance with those
    who have come under attack
    for voicing opposition to the war
    or for their religion or ethnicity

We pledge to make common cause
    with the people of the world
    to bring about justice,
    freedom and peace

Another world is possible
    and we pledge to make it real.

Posted by pixeline on Sep 16, 2005.

I personally am for number seven. If that little speck of religion is too much for people to handle then get rid or it, but I think getting rid of the pledge all together is a little much.

However, the pledge has been controversial since it was created in the late 1800's, so who knows...

Posted by Stephan Segraves on Sep 18, 2005.

I like number seven too. I like the idea of a unified republic, and I like the idea of having a pledge of some sort. I HATE that people are required to say it. It should be something voluntary, and it should be something free of religion.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Sep 19, 2005.

I suggest we avoid all the religious nonsense and become practical. What if we changed the pledge to something topical and informative like:

“I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under party sunny skies with a chance of rain, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

It could then be updated depending on the daily regional forecast.

Posted by Dale Cruse on Sep 20, 2005.