Christmas presents

Posted Dec 28, 2005 in Events, Family, Gadgets.

Christmas 2005 was an interesting one for me, when taken from the perspective of gifts. I made a point of asking for certain things that I wanted, and I pretty much got everything I desired.

The most interesting gift of all came from my mother. An amazing egg and muffin toaster that will poach an egg, heat pre-cooked sausage/bacon, and toast an English muffin at the same time! It'll even hard or soft-boil up to four eggs, if you want it to. My mother also sent me an Amazon.com gift certificate, which I've just used to buy a Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 webcam. I'm a big fan of the Skype internet telephony service, and they've just released a version of their software that will allow video conversations. I'm planning to use the webcam to talk to my mother. If the camera works well, I'll return the favor and buy her one too.

From my stepchildren, I got a nose-hair trimmer (it was becoming a little too obvious) and a cool digital compass for my car. I've got a little Ford Focus, and it doesn't have all the usual electronic gadgets in it. Now I can point the thing at the horizon without worrying about getting lost. Sweet.

I ordered a few things for myself, including piles of English candy from UK Goods and the fourth seasons of The Shield and Star Trek: Enterprise. What? Doesn't everyone buy stuff for themselves at Christmas?

Comments

Doesn't everyone? I got myself a Utilikilt and a nice pair of 'Bovver' boots to match!

Posted by Adrian on Dec 28, 2005.

A utilikilt? Isn't that just a girlie skirt with pockets and shit? What's wrong with trousers, dude?

Posted by Simon Jessey on Dec 28, 2005.

Until you have actually worn a kilt for any time, you'll not understand the comfort afforded by certain freedoms. Kilts have been continually evolving for some 1000 years or more, originating as a long yellow tunic in Ireland. They became recognisable as a kilt in the 16th century but were soon banned by Henry VIII due to them being a sign of defiance to the Crown.

Trousers are surprisingly restrictive and if one looks at their design alongside the design of the male anatomy, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that there are parts on each that interfere with the other. Trousers are far better designed for women!From a biological perspective, certain parts work best when kept at a cooler temperature than the rest of the body, hence they dangle! Trousers inhibit their full functionality and promote sweat and other problems.

When all is said and done, the modern kilt is a comfortable, healthy and practical piece of attire. If one has the wherewithall to wear one (nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more!) and isn't concerned with conforming or blending in with the crowd, it is also great fun to wear. Many in these parts think my wearing of one is due to heritage but they are wrong. I prefer not to conform to dress codes forced upon society by puritanical types wanting us all to look and act the same. It is all about freedom, Simon. This land of 'freedom' is filled with more conformists than any other. No white after Labor day? Give me a break!

Before you ask the question that everyone always does, the answer is 'Boots!'

Happy new year to you and yours from another expat.

Posted by Adrian on Dec 30, 2005.

You did ask!
    ;o)

Posted by Adrian on Dec 30, 2005.

I've no doubt that the "bloke's skirt" is good at preserving and enhancing the functionality of the dangly bits, and it certainly offers usability advantages over other attire; however, it'd take quite a bit more convincing before I'd actually be prepared to wear one.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Dec 30, 2005.

Forgot to say, I have been a bit useless with your crimbo gifts but keeping watching for the post man!!
    xx

Posted by Sam on Jan 05, 2006.

Hi Simon,
    Christmas at Samantha and James's house with the rest of the family went like a dream making it one of my happiest and only marred by missing you Simon. Thank you all my dear family for my wonderful MP3 player which I have now loaded with a host of my favourite music. Thanks too for the fancy earphones and the other wonderful and amusing gifts you gave me this year.

New Year was a real treat when you and Deborah called me up on Skype and there you both were live on your webcam. I was rembering how very many years ago you tried to encourage me to use your first little computer but I resisted until years later. Thank goodness you didn't give up on me as life would be rather bleak if not for the wonders of modern technology which I now embrace with open arms. After all, it's my window to you and your family across the pond.

Happy New Year and heaps of love to you, Deborah and the kids and good luck with the resolutions!!!

Posted by Mum on Jan 07, 2006.