Posted Mar 13, 2006 in Miscellaneous.
It was almost a year ago since I did one of these things. A core dump of various unrelated things is necessary from time to time, lest one's mind gets too cluttered:
- In last year's post, I vowed to make it to SXSW. Well, I didn't make it. I can't afford to go galavanting around the country at the moment, and I'm too busy teaching and fixing up my house.
- I convinced my mother to get a webcam so that we can Skype each other. It has been so successful that we have now convinced my sister to do the same. This sort of technology is a boon for folks separated by thousands of miles.
- Our dog is on her last legs. She may hang in there for a few months, but I find myself put in a position where I'm having to pick her up after a fall. I'm not in the best of shape at the moment, and walking around with 100 pounds of wriggling Dalmation in my arms is quite difficult.
- I have restored the PayPal donate button to this blog, and also a counterpart on my business site. When anyone needs to pay me (or send me money for whatever reason), the PayPal system makes it ridiculously easy.
- Last week, we spent $4,000 getting every two-pin electrical outlet in the house replaced with the safer three-pin variety. At the same time, we had a couple of ground fault circuit interrupters installed in the bathrooms, together with some attractive new lights. The work was done by Lowry, who make it easy for you to budget for things with fixed prices. Each socket replacement, for example, was around $88 (including the parts). Not bad, really.
- Next on the home improvement agenda is a shitload of painting, a couple of new garage doors, and various kinds of other doors. We have to hold off on big jobs like floors, carpets, and kitchens because the dog is still alive.
There's plenty more where all that came from, but I'm saving some for later in the week.