Overrated

Posted Jun 13, 2006 in Miscellaneous.

• Titanic
  • iPod
  • Michael Vick
  • Comic books
  • Religion
  • U2
  • Tom Cruise
  • Pepsi
  • Podcasting
  • Kanye West

Discuss. Argue. Create your own list. Whatever.

Comments

- Titanic (Have yet to see it)
    - iPod (Agreed)
    - Michael Vick (Who?)
    - Comic books (Never got into them...)
    - Religion (Me <-- Ex-Jehova's Witness -- haha)
    - U2 (Agreed)
    - Tom Cruise (Brad Pitt is far worse)
    - Pepsi (It's about Dr. Pepper)
    - Podcasting (I know of it but can't explain it)
    - Kanye West (George Bush is a racist, don'cha forget it.)

Posted by James Henry on Jun 13, 2006.

"Tom Cruise (Brad Pitt is far worse)"

I dunno about that. Brad Pitt is great in "Ocean's 11/12", and made a perfect partner to the absolutely fucking gorgeous Angelina Jolie in "Mr & Mrs Smith". Tom Cruise is always exactly the same.

"Pepsi (It's about Dr. Pepper)"

I agree that Dr. Pepper is a great drink, but I was expressing my disgust at Pepsi itself, rather than Pepsico.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 13, 2006.

Haha, this randomness made me chuckle. I don't think I could agree more, either (though I have to say I still love the U2 of old, and I had to google "Michael Vick").

Posted by ACJ on Jun 13, 2006.

Have you ever read "The Watchmen" series/graphic novel by Alan Moore? It might change your mind about comics....

The only time I've ever reach for a Pepsi would be if my gums were on fire. But not to drink that brown sewage; just to go ahead and cut my throat with the aluminum can to put myself of out my misery.

Posted by Graham on Jun 13, 2006.

1. celebrity
    2. firefox
    3. money
    4. open source software
    5. possessions
    6. democracy
    7. public intelligence
    8. religion
    9. horoscopes
    10. car ownership

Posted by Paul on Jun 15, 2006.

Hmmm. There are one or two predictable entries in your list, Paul. Being a confirmed lover of all that is Microsoft, I can see why you would object to "2","4", and "6"; however, you'll need plenty of "3" to pay MS licence fees. You might be able to figure out when you get your next B.S.o.D. (Blue Screen of Death) by reading "9".

"7" is a contradiction in terms, rather like "American History" I suppose.

With respect to "10", do you prefer to lease a vehicle? Or are you one of those chaps who prefers public transport (another contradiction in terms, I think).

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 15, 2006.

ha ha. simon, you are a great polariser of opinion. there are no shades of grey in your world are there? 1 bit per opinion: most economical.

you're original question was to name 10 things that you think are merely overrated, not necessarily that i 'object to'. so whilst i'm an enthusiastic user of firefox, i still believe it to be generally overrated. it's increasingly needy (constant updates), memory hungry and slow. still better than IE, but overrated all the same.

quite contrary to your assertion that i'm a 'lover of all things microsoft' i would consider myself very much a skeptic. few applications drive me as crazy (in a bad way) as word and excel. aspects of xp drive me pretty mad too. automated updates for one; which, ironically, used to reboot my system into SUSE.

and i've tried. honestly. i even paid for suse. i tinkered. i toyed. got most of my devices working. learnt to how compile stuff. but could i do everything that i wanted to do? not really. maybe i should give linux another shot; what flavour do you use?

regards BSOD; wow, i've not had one of those since about 1997. about the same time that i had a car without an automatic choke.

regards 6, it is my firm belief that a 'benign dictatorship' would be better than 'one man/woman one vote'. as long as the leader was somebody like david attenborough :-).

finally 10. most amusing. i was not referring to the method of payment for a vehicle, though i can see how that might have been inferred. rather, having/driving a car per se. everybody should get on their bike in my view.

cheers

paul

Posted by Paul on Jun 19, 2006.

In regards to Pauls latest post -- I would gladly ride my bike to school. Riding a bike is not only fun but also tricks you as your actually getting a decent workout.

However, it's impractical because I would have to leave now to get to school on time. (It's 5:15 in the morning)

Posted by James Henry on Jun 19, 2006.

A bike is completely impossible for me. This is due in part to my excessive weight, but also because I only really use my car to carry people and things around. As for using it for school, that's a 112-mile round trip up and down the North East Extension of the PA Turnpike for me!

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 19, 2006.

112 miles. pah! that's a mere 7 hours at a steady 16 mph.

Posted by Paul on Jun 19, 2006.

simon

sorry. you must have missed my question.

like i say, i tried pretty hard to get SUSE working for all of my needs but found it pretty hard going.

what flavour of linux are you using on your desktop? i've got a mate that had some success with ubuntu, but i'm not sure that i want a mac style interface.

maybe you could persuade me to give linux another go. i've got a spare hard drive.

cheers

paul

Posted by Paul on Jun 21, 2006.

"what flavour of linux are you using on your desktop?"

It's a special version called "Windows XP Professional". Only hardcore wack-jobs run Linux on their PCs, as far as I'm concerned. How else am I going to run Doom 3, Microsoft Word, and ĀµTorrent on the same machine without major aggro?

Linux is my preferred operating system (specifically, Debian) for supporting the Apache web server. It's very stable and enjoys regular updates.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 21, 2006.