American Awful

Posted Jan 20, 2007 in Television.

“American Idol” is back on the telly, and thirty-seven million viewers watched the season premiere. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Comments

My girlfriend watches it. I think they all sound horrible compared to the singers on Nashville Star.

More people care about people who want to be singers then presidental elections. :(

Posted by James Henry on Jan 21, 2007.

I do not watch TV, but I see snapshots of it here and here, while wife flips around channels. American Idols can be fun, it is just what I would call a pretty clean form of entertainment. Just to see --and hear!-- the singers want-to-be is just hilarious.

I mean, the fact you posted about it... says something, isn't it? ;-)

Posted by David on Jan 24, 2007.

"I mean, the fact you posted about it... says something, isn't it?"

It says I am appalled by it, and by the people who watch it. Quality television drama like "Kidnapped", "Smith", "3lbs", and others are cancelled after a handful of episodes because people don't tune in. Yet they watch complete drivel like the numerous "reality" (actually scripted fantasy) shows and game shows. To make matters worse, the viewers elevate the people involved in this shit to celebrity status.

Excellent shows like "Studio 60" and "Six Degrees" are in danger of being cancelled because they are essentially TOO CLEVER for an American audience. Even stuff like "Brothers & Sisters" and "Battlestar Galactica" is under threat.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jan 24, 2007.

You watch way too much TV :-P

Posted by David on Jan 24, 2007.

I'm with Simon on this one.

It's much the same in the UK, especially weekend evenings.

No show is complete without celebrities trying to do stuff they are not famous for, and therefore not particularly great at, in front of a panel, some positive, some nearly always negative (oh but the joy for the audience when they same something positive!!) watched by a live audience presumably more accustomed to pantomime where every positive exhortation is cheered and every negative one is booed with minutely entreaties from the presenters to vote with your mobile phone.

I think these shows are meant to demonstrate the triumph of the human spirit. If only. More like the triumph of a pathetic, dumbed down world of mediocrity and ignorance.

Ha. I'm a cheerful soul this morning :-). Maybe the puncture and the snow blizzard dampened my spirit!

P

Posted by Paul on Jan 25, 2007.

Although there are A LOT of trash on TV that seem to suck people in, there are a few good ones that are popular for the most part. I find Dirty Jobs, Future Weapons and Mythbusters of much interest!

Posted by James Henry on Jan 26, 2007.

Your next post should include American humor verse British humor and how lame American humor is :(

Guy kicked in balls < The Ministry of Funny Walks

Posted by James Henry on Jan 29, 2007.