Safari for Windows

Posted Jun 11, 2007 in Browsers.

Apple has finally made a version of it's Safari web browser available to Windows users [download]. This will be good news for web developers and designers who no longer have to buy an Apple computer just to see how their websites work in Safari, but pretty much irrelevant for users in the Real World™ who should be using Firefox.

Comments

There are already various Web-based simulators that will take a screenshot of your site for you with Safari; will this Windows version be identical enough to the Mac version that there won't be any differences in page rendering?

Posted by Emufarmers on Jun 13, 2007.

It is my understanding that the Safari/Win rendering is close enough to the Safari/Mac rendering to use as a guide, but it is not exactly the same. Certainly there won't be a significant differences.

Incidentally, the main reason for this release is to ensure that designers will be able to develop pages and applications for Apple's iPhone without needing to get a Mac as well. The bold claim that it is "faster" than other browsers is mostly bullshit. It may be faster than other browsers in their default configurations, but most browsers can be optimized for the system they are working on. For example, Gecko-based browsers can be tweaked in "about:config" to yield significant speed improvements.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 13, 2007.

Simon, it isn't a false claim. Safari on Windows opens faster than any other browser right now. The browsing is very smooth as well, but overall, browsing speed depends of your Internet connection mainly. There are no tweaks on Firefox that will make it launch as fast as Safari that I know off, and I am talking about a "extensionless" Firefox.

Yes, Safari on Windows comes coincidentially with their upcoming iPhone release, but the scope might extend much further. After all, the Safari rendering engine has been used on Windows for a while, with iTunes.

Posted by David Collantes on Jun 14, 2007.

I’m running windows, and to me the font smoothing is too much. Smaller text becomes almost too chunky to read. On windows it crashes as soon as you try to type in your proxy password and you can’t edit the proxy settings (the button is greyed out in preferences.) It seems to render pretty quickly, but I was testing at work and it seemed to lag on the initial request, like the Microsoft network protocol was stopping it and saying “What are you doing here?” : ) All told, I don’t think I’ll be switching away from firefox. Safari currently lacks the plugins I’ve come to depend on, and I just don’t see anything that really makes it worth switching. Based on the text alone I don’t see myself switching over to Safari as my default browser. I know it’s still in beta but I see myself sticking by firefox. However, I’m very excited to see Apple opening up it’s browser to windows users. One more browser I can test my sites on now.

Posted by Tomek on Jun 14, 2007.

"Simon, it isn't a false claim. Safari on Windows opens faster than any other browser right now."

I've got Safari running on one of my webdev machines now. It STARTS more quickly than Firefox (probably because my copy of Firefox has several extensions and a theme installed), but my optimized copy of Firefox is definitely zippier at browsing. I've had stability problems with Safari over the hour I've been playing with it, and it has crashed several times.

I agree with Tomek about the font-smoothing as well. It does seem a little bit excessive when it comes to smaller-sized text, although it looks nice on bigger stuff.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 14, 2007.

"I've had stability problems with Safari over the hour I've been playing with it, and it has crashed several times."

It is beta. While using it exclusively as my default browser, I am encountering things like that and more. I am also submitting every single one of them.

Posted by David Collantes on Jun 14, 2007.

Still, it's VERY crashy for a beta. I'm used to seeing this sort of thing on pre-alpha or alpha releases. I'm submitting my problems too; however, I'm unlikely to use Safari for much longer in its current form because it's too much of a pain in the ass.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 14, 2007.

"And I HATE the way it looks. I just don't like the Apple UI design, and I never have done. Microsoft's approach seems more goal-centric than Apple's."

Oi, now you are getting into a different kind of waters, Jessey. I love the Apple UI design, on Mac OS X. Microsoft UI? I laught... and cry (because at work I am forced to use it).

Off topic, are you still given out a cookie? My information is not been remembered, and I want to know if it is another bug on Safari I should report...

Posted by David Collantes on Jun 14, 2007.

Yup. We're all cookied-up here, so it must be a Safari bug.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Jun 14, 2007.

Version 3.0.1 fixed it for me. Cookies are a go!

Posted by David Collantes on Jun 14, 2007.

So in battle IE vs Mozilla... Apple will win?

Posted by Mi on Jun 14, 2007.

"So in battle IE vs Mozilla... Apple will win?"

No, you will.

Posted by David Collantes on Jun 15, 2007.

Each browser has their quirks. Another browser to see what works and what doesn't.

Why are we trying to reach web standards if each browser follows their own rules?

Posted by James Henry on Jun 19, 2007.

I just realized that you posted this on my 21st birthday!

Posted by James Henry on Jul 09, 2007.