Deport them

Posted Aug 20, 2007 in Personal, Politics.

I was pleased to hear that Elvira Arellano had finally been deported. I went through a time-consuming and expensive visa process to get the right to move to the United States, so it makes me angry when illegal immigrants jump the queue and claim they have the right to stay here.

Arellano entered the United States illegally in 1997. She was apprehended and deported back to Mexico by the United States government, whereupon she returned just days later. She lived illegally in Oregon for three years, during which time she gave birth to a son from an unnamed father. In 2000, she moved to Chicago where she worked as a cleaner at an airport. Two years later, she was arrested and convicted for obtaining employment with a false Social Security Number. She was order to appear before immigration authorities in August 2006, but instead fled to a Chicago church to avoid arrest and deportation. She stayed there for a year, drumming-up support for her case until she was arrested and deported after going to Los Angeles to make a public appearance.

There are millions of illegal immigrants in this country, and thousands of them are convicted criminals like Elvira Arellano. The immigration system is working far too slowly. It needs more money and more resources so it can go after these people and repatriate them to their native countries.

One good thing that has come out of this particular case is the fact that it has sent an important message to illegal immigrants: getting pregnant is not going to win you a free pass.

Comments

Yes i completely agree, it's not really fair for people such as yourself who have gone about the process the correct way and done things legitimately.

I'm currently in Australia, and over here illegal immigrants are detained in detention centers pending a court hearing in which they can plead for residency due to circumstances in their home country such as violence etc.

These court cases take some time, so they are detained for months and sometimes years. Now this is what gets me.. the ones claiming violence or harsh living conditions back home actually riot and protest about being locked up and smash up the detention centers. Now i've been to some of these places, and quite frankly they are like a hotel with good meals and living conditions and all the comforts besides being able to walk out the door.

These people cost millions to house, and really how bad can they have it back home when being detained is so horrible in comparison. I'd live there and not complain if i had no alternate living arrangements.

They are lucky to have a chance here.

Posted by SEO Carly on Aug 21, 2007.

Being native to the good ol' US of A, I have no idea what the process is like (although I have read your page devoted to the process). I read that its long, expensive and could prove to be quite stressful. I agree with you 100% on the issue Simon. Are there THOUSANDS of illegals working everyday jobs? Yes. Would our economy go crazy if we deported them all? P robably for a little. Mexicans should be happy in Mexico - at least they have the WRC there! ;)

Posted by James Henry on Aug 28, 2007.

What i won't understand ever is that why do people risk there lives just for the sake of entry to US, when they are not even sure enough that they'll be able to escape from the Immigration agencies. She is just another example, I've heard of many stories where people from Asian countries e.g Korea(which is not that failed state) hide in the wheels of the airplane which are leaving for the US, thinking they'll be able to make it to the US but most of them die either when the plan lands, some die when its traveling at a height of over 15-20000 Meter. I mean this is sad but if America is the only place where they think a career can be made, why not try the legal way out?

Posted by Shaal on Aug 30, 2007.

Funny, I thought 'America' was raised by immigrants. Legal or not.

Posted by Uncle Tom on Sep 10, 2007.

Here goes the "America was founded by Immigrants" argument. Talk about beating a dead horse. I think everyone can agree that America should NEVER close its doors to people wanting to come here seeking a better life - but there is a process that must be followed. This process isn't to force people to wait years or so American can earn money off of them - it's the fact that the process is there to instate some kind of coherency so that they may work and live to help America while helping themselves. It's also instated to help protect American citizens. People who come here illegaly are selfish and only want whats best for them and really dont give a rats ass about America. Quite frankly - if you don't give a damn about America then you shouldn't risk your life coming to it.

Posted by James Henry on Sep 11, 2007.

Arellano is a criminal,lawbreaker, bad mother.She lied in court at her hearing. I think her the decision is right.We must support Rule of Law and Govt should take strict actions against all Immigrants.

Posted by Rex on Sep 11, 2007.

I agree.. Illegal immigration is a crime and to defend your position, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Posted by Zeb on Sep 12, 2007.

Zeb I agree I live in strange country but here we don't have this problems. USA is a country build by hands of imigrants and how the US gov protect them?... Regards

Posted by Tomek on Sep 21, 2007.

As long as the differences between poor and rich countries are so large, it will always give refugees. We would flee also into a rich country, in order to have a better and safe life. Immigrants are criminal, because they are immigrants?

Posted by Nina on Oct 08, 2007.

There is nothing wrong with being an immigrant. I am an immigrant. My problem is with people who enter the country illegally, and then commit crimes of deception like obtaining Social Security numbers and driving licenses. I am not going to break into my neighbor's house and live in it just because they have nicer floors and a fancier kitchen.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Oct 08, 2007.

This is a really sad story. Ok i understand that illegal living in a country is a crime, but is a life always under pressure. You have to hide every Day and every Hour. I feel sorry for this People. :(

Posted by Grafikkarten on Oct 23, 2007.