Massive sedans

Posted Nov 08, 2007 in Miscellaneous.

Here in the United States, there is a tendency for reasonably affluent seniors to drive absolutely massive cars. I constantly find myself stuck behind an enormous, beige barge with a hideous brown vinyl roof that is weaving slowly from side to side like a drunk. DeVilles, Town Cars, LeSabres, Crown Victorias and similar rivals and rebadged derivatives seem to be the usual choice. They are all huge and often ugly. Some look like sideboards with wheels, with all the elegance of a barn.

The biggest problem is that old people are lousy drivers. They have slow reactions, poor spatial awareness, a lack of road confidence, and they are generally oblivious to the world around them. I mean no disrespect, but folks like these should not be commanding moving objects weighing two tons.

I think seniors should be made to take a driving test every few years to weed out those who are obviously a danger to others - perhaps they should be required to watch Grey Dawn as well. While I'm on the subject, the driving test in the United States is way too easy. I have taken both the UK and the US tests, and the former is much harder.

Comments

Interesting

Posted by Serg on Nov 12, 2007.

Yes, getting a drivers license is very easy. Are massive sedans very popular in the UK?

Posted by Alison on Nov 12, 2007.

@Serg: Thank you for you valuable contribution to the discussion!

@Alison: Nope. In fact, massive sedans are not really available in the UK, unless you count Rolls Royce and Mercedes luxury cars. In the UK, even a Ford Taurus-sized car would be considered excessively massive for most people.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Nov 12, 2007.

It's interesting you mention this Simon. I dont know if it's because specific cars or due to when they were produced. I was looking out the window into the parking lot and I've noticed that cars older were generally smaller. For instance my Subaru was next to a brand new Eclipse and a black car (not sure what? - Looked like an RSX?) and my car looked tiny compared to them! I think its a concerning trend that cars are getting bigger and heavier. Performance issues aside, I wouldnt be surprised if we are driving dump-truck sized cars within the next 20 years ;).

Posted by James Henry on Nov 14, 2007.

In the UK, car owners pay an annual licence fee to use their cars on the road. This charge is dependent purely upon the emissions of the vehicle concerned and the whim of the chancellor of the exchequer.

This is a hateful scheme that whilst measuring the emissions per kilometre, completely fails to take account of the number of kilometres that are travelled by that car in a given year. However, with some subtle revision, I think the scheme may posess some merit after all.

So, how about a scheme whereby the charge levied is dependent on: the owners lack of taste, age of the owner (there is direct correlation between this and the risk of death to others) and the size of the vehicle?

This would enable the following to be fairly penalised:

1.old people
    2.people with brown vinyl roofs
    3.people with beige cars
    4.people who drive a car that has either "Crown" or "Victoria in it's model name. Both are hideously inappropriate nomenclature for a motor vehicle
    5.those who are driving a "rebadged derivative" of any kind. In fact, these people are such naive mugs, consideration ought to be given to more draconian penalties
    6.sexually or otherwise inadequate people who compensate for their condition by buying unnecessarily massive cars

Posted by jamesn on Nov 27, 2007.

Coincidence, my partner and i were talking about this 2 days ago when we were asked to sign a petition against the government cracking down on licencing requirements for the elderly.

No we didn't sign.

My grandmother "never" done a driving test, in her day she just filled out the forms and got it (small town the police new her family etc) then she did not drive at all for 40 years until my grandfather passed away.

She should NOT be on the roads, and is it's a disgrace she isn't required to undergo another test every "x" years.

I also do road rescue, and most accidents are caused by the elderly and not the young/drunk as media portrays.

Posted by SEO on Nov 27, 2007.

Posted by used vans girl on Nov 29, 2007.

"I think your sarcastic take on the situation is great. Had me in stitches. Kind of makes me glad that we don't have such big cars in the UK. Also our re-test for old people is quite effective for taking out those Sunday drivers that shouldn't be on the road for one reason or another. And no massive sedans or sedans aren't popular in the UK, we have very high fuel tax that takes care of most people not wanting big fuel bills."

Chalk one up for the Brits! That's the way it should be over here in the States. I love when I see a person spending $90 filling up his Ford Excursion and going, "why is gas so expensive?"

Actually, I dont find it funny. It makes me want to punch them in the throat.

Posted by James Henry on Dec 03, 2007.