Already thinking of Christmas

Posted Sep 27, 2008 in England, Events, Family.

I sometimes buy British goods from various providers in the United States (and some in the UK), and I have already started to receive notification emails from a few of them that say they are ready to take orders for Christmas goodies. I almost always get things like mince pies and Christmas pudding (although the latter is now available from some stores in the US), but what I really like is Christmas cake.

The perfect Christmas cake is quite hard to come by. There are many different kinds, but my favorite type must have the following qualities:

• Rich and fruity
  • Dark and moist
  • Thickly-covered in marzipan
  • Fully-iced with sharply-peaked, tooth-destroying Royal icing

Shop-bought Christmas cakes are usually poor. The cake is usually pretty good (especially the expensive, luxury items) but they always suffer from stingy marzipan and soft icing. The finest examples of the species are made months in advance, lovingly cared-for with regular injections of alcohol during the two or three months before Christmas, when they are given their marzipan and icing shrouds and decorated.

Comments

I hate Christmas Cake, it's rubbish. For me, Christmas is all about the presents...giving and receiving of course.
    xx

Posted by Sam on Oct 01, 2008.

I don't believe I have ever tried such a thing. I do lack a sugar tooth though, so if I did ever come across it, it would send my mouth into a blazing fury of pain. Well that and I would probably gag uncontrollably if it were chocolate because I can't stand the stuff (Yeah, us chocolate haters DO exist!) I'd kill for vanilla, though!

"Fully-iced with sharply-peaked, tooth-destroying Royal icing" Haha! Sounds like you are better off chewing on glass and hand grenades!

"For many people, Christmas is all about Jesus. For me, it is all about food - and Christmas cake is my gold, frankincense and myrrh all rolled into one."

Christmas is about Jesus? Since when? I thought it was about the guy in the suit... whats his name again... Santa, thats it! Oh wait, that sounds a lot like Satan. Popular belief is that they both wear red and Satan has horns. Wait, reindeer have horns (well, antlers). Crap.

Posted by James henry on Oct 03, 2008.

i can't believe your going to forget about the 2nd most important holiday of the year! (besides your birthday) Haloween! what other day than haloween can an old man dress up get drunk and scare away kids all in one night(oh and steal their candy XD) only haloween can do that. oh sure you make yourself look stupid but i enjoy every second of it until i realized that i hit my boss the next day and that im getting fired.

Posted by Brett on Oct 09, 2008.

I am not really a big fan of Halloween, to be honest. It's a big thing here in the US, but it was never a big a deal as Bonfire Night (Guy Fawkes Night) in the UK. I gather that trick-or-treating has become more popular in the UK since I left, and I only see that as a bad thing.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Oct 10, 2008.

Guy Fawkes!! The ONLY reason I know of the madness is because of V for Vendetta. Then I had to do some research on the character and what exactly the rhyme meant.

Remember, remember the fifth of November...

Posted by James Henry on Oct 17, 2008.

When I was younger, Christmas was about presents and food. Then I got a little older and it was about presents, getting drunk, snogging women and food.
    Now I am getting old (and am happily loved up), it is about food, family and books on atheism. The common denominator here is food and therefore I can only conclude Christmas is about food.

Posted by Tim on Oct 20, 2008.

i hate christmas cake but love xmas pudding

may get one tonight!

Posted by suzanne on Nov 05, 2008.

I like Christmas Pudding too, but only with lashings of brandy butter.

Posted by Simon Jessey on Nov 05, 2008.