- 200g of caster sugar (or superfine sugar)
- 300g of softened unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g of self-raising flour
- 140g of sifted icing sugar (or confectioners sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 340g jar of high quality strawberry jam
- 1 drop of vanilla extract
- A little icing sugar for decoration
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter two 8-inch (20cm) cake tins and line them with non-stick baking paper. In a large bowl, beat the caster sugar, ⅔ of the butter, the eggs, the flour, the baking powder and the milk together until you have a smooth, soft batter. Divide the mixture between the cake tins, smooth the surface with a spatula and then bake for about 20 minutes until golden and the cake springs back when pressed. Turn the cake onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
To make the filling, beat the rest of the butter until smooth and creamy and then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Beat in the drop of vanilla extract. Spread the butter cream over the bottom of one of the sponges, top it with jam and then sandwich the second sponge on top. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving. Keep in an airtight container and eat within two days.